Lullaby Jumpstart

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Ode to Map Boy


The following is a transcript of a conversation between two ships passing in the night that occurred at 3:30pm today. Some people would call it a moment, I call it more randumbness that Ben can use to fuel his already overactive imagination, thereby creating some unique, yet false, history and relationship with a charming, attractive man who is undoubtedly straight and probably a narcissist.
Map Boy – Hey, my oldest friend. Haven’t seen you in a while. Need a photo?
Ben – Yep. Here are the cross streets I need. How has your day been?
Map Boy – (drolly sarcastic look, yet oddly attractive, mostly because of his face and charming demeanor) I love working for the city. Growing a beard?
Ben – No, just lazy. You?
Map Boy – Just lazy. Ask me if I ever aspired to work behind a map counter?
Ben – Uh…Did you ever aspire to work behind…
Map Boy - No!
Ben – (laughs) Then how did you end up here?
Map Boy - How did you end up changing light bulbs for a living?
Ben - Good Question. I have other goals.
Map Boy – Don’t we all. What is it you-
(Enter a young girl, impossibly attractive, wearing a short skirt)
Map Boy – Oh shit. Pretend to talk to me about something.
Ben – Um…it is gorgeous outside-
Map Boy – Not the weather.
Ben – Right. Um…I’ve been thinking about taking Mandolin lessons?
Map Boy – Really?
Ben – Yeah. I mean I’m really into bluegrass right now. Or progressive bluegrass…or alt-country, which is really almost any kind of music right now.
Map Boy – I need a frame of reference.
Ben – Oh…like…um…Nickel Creek or… (exit the impossibly attractive girl in the short skirt)
Map Boy – Oh I love Nickel Creek.
Ben – Ex-girlfriend?
Map Boy – Excuse me?
Ben – I assume you were trying to avoid her.
Map Boy – Oh…yeah. I really hate her.
Ben – Ended that badly?
Map Boy – What ended that badly?
Ben – Your…whatever.
Map Boy – Oh. We were never together.
Ben – Ah. I was a decoy.
Map Boy – Yeah. Nice job. Ooh. Here’s your photo. And I really like Nickel Creek, I wasn’t just saying that. Were you really going to take mandolin lessons?
Ben – Um…it’s a wild hair that I’ve been having. I’m like that…um…hairy. I need to trim. I’m gonna stop now.
Map Boy – (laughs) I owe you one.
Ben – Don’t mention it. What did she do anyway?
Map Boy – Nothing. My heart just belongs to someone else. (He smiles an ungodly intoxicating smile, that would make a person wonder how such a creature ended up working in a dark office in City Hall.)
Ben – Right. Uh…later. Take care.
-END-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home