Lullaby Jumpstart

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Kyle's CD Review Mix 1

K...so my Friend Kyle makes these awesome mix CD's for me and I promised him I would review them. So...since they are such great compilations I am sharing them here. That way if you know the bands or are interested in my taste you can find the tracks and share the love.

Mix 1
Josh Rouse - It's the Nighttime
-cool voice, like the country twang, strong opener…eases into mix…
Matt Costa - Cold December
one of the best tracks on the album, great voice, great bass line, great lyrics, great voice
Fruit Bats - The Wind That Blew My Heart Away
really dig digital effects in this one, brit influenced…good song to ride the train to
Of Montreal - Wraith Pinned to the Mist (And Other Games)
if elastica was less electronica and met the eighties and had a male vocal, this song is so catchy and bonus points for having Antartica in a song…
Simple Kid - Hello
at first listen it sounds like a song MTV would use for a commercial but never show the video of, but all in all strong track, somewhat over-produced but not in that Jessica Simpson way
Athlete - You Got the Style
I love Athlete…love them…so this was a treat…what a great song from them too, not their best but hits the mix almost in the middle and adds amazing variety, good for those soundtrack of your life moments
Bell X1 - Eve, The Apple of My Eye
Like Damien Rice/Coldplay-lite very sacchriney but the songs emotional core is very strong, cool chorus, but cheesy lyrics, good for when its raining
Butterfly Boucher - Another White Dash
I have a huge soft spot for this song. Great voice, great guitar in the background. Nice lyrics. All in all, an amazing pop song. Plus her name is Butterfly…no really it is. “Heart full of rubber bands…” Great.
The Fray - Cable Car
Very strong pop/rock song. My type of male voice. Needs a stronger bridge.
Michael Flynn - You're In Luck
Love it. Love it. Love it. Lyrically it sucks. But the build and the piano, with the harmonies. Love it. Love it. Nice use of repetition. One of my favs on the cd.
David Hopkins - Ginger Hair
Like this song. Gets a bit monotonous, but love the synths.
Patrick Park - Thunderbolt
Simple, nice folk song. Like David Gray meets James Taylor.
American Music Club - Patriot's Heart
Every now and then you need some AMC. Lyrically one of the best. Not to everyone’s tastes but I love it. Strong mood. Strong story. Not even one of their best tracks but still awesome.
The Frames - Sideways Down
I love the Frames. Ties with Costa for best on the album. Great build. Love the mixing of the voices. Great with stereo surround. Actually this one might win for best song. Love the violin. AAAAH. K…better now.
The Magnetic Fields - I thought you were my boyfriend
God they crack me up. What a great track…good electronic beat. Haunting vocal (as usual), witty self-observant. Lyrically simple.
Stars - Your ex-lover is dead
The Stars. The Stars. The Stars. What a great song. Okay…wait. Stars, best track. Frames, second best. Matt Costa, number three. This song, music, lyrics, voice, build mesh perfectly.
Ben Folds and Rufus Wainwright - Careless Whisper
What can you say? Both of their voices sound great. Everyone needs some George Michael…great ending song for a CD too.

Overview:
Strong mix. Weighs down a bit in the middle, but picks up for some strong variety. Good job Kyle. I will review number 2 next.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home